Check Availability button-pattern button-pattern

Tales to Tell

The birth of the Royal Private Hotel

Two miners – Joe Woodburn and Joe Owen – realised merchants stood a better chance of success on the goldfields than miners did. They set up their trading promises on this very site. (Lot 1 Mosman Street )and on there second trip from Broughton, brought back spirits,thus establishing the first hotel in the towers. The first construction on the site was a bark hut.

It was then replaced by a one level wooden building known as the “Reefers Arms Hotel” Richard Hargreaves purchased the hotel in 1877 and built a brewery on the site “sufficient to float Charters Towers” ” The Hotel hosted comfortable lodgings, hot and cold plunge shower baths and lofty and well ventilated stabling.

In 1888 the local architect WG Smith contracted Ben Toll to construct the two storey brick building that stands today at a cost of 7,000 pounds.

The contract to build was completed a fortnight before the due date. The lessee of the Royal Private Hotel at this time was Mr F T Dean.

The building has a commanding architectural frontage of 110 ft to Hargraves street (now known as Marion street) and 68 ft to Mosman Street.

The Northern Miner Newspaper on Friday the 29th June 1888 stated the Hotel is one of the largest and best in town for the travellers and visitors . This still hold true in 2018 under the current ownership of Shane & Julie Grant